Oh, school. You keep me from blogging. And you keep me exhausted. Luckily, part of my Writing for the Web grade is regularly updating a personal blog, so now I have extra incentive to update more than once a week.
Here’s a quick recap of the week:
– Body Pump > Body Attack. Too bad Free Week is over. Oh well, my buns and thighs probably need a break from squatting and lunging to Bon Jovi and Black Eyed Peas.
– Roomie dinners are in full swing, except that we’re all on different schedules so it’s hard for us to eat together. On Tuesday, Alexi made an awesome black bean enchilada bake. Wednesday was turkey burgers, sweet potato fries and salad by Kayla and Shelley made Moroccan tilapia and veggies on Thursday. YUUUUM!
– Food Principles is BALLIN! Holy crap, I can’t wait to cook every week in lab, then stuff my face with all of the dishes my classmates and I make. Next week is Fruits and Veggies I. While others make trite things like fried apple pie, rhubarb crumble, and key lime sorbet, I will be making more challenging dishes like…microwaved vs. pressure cooked carrots. Perhaps I’ll get something more exciting next week.
– Writing for the Web sounds like it’s going to be a really applicable class, but I’m kind of nervous about the writing assignments already. I’m going for a minor in English, but I hate writing (except for blogging). I just like to read books and discuss!
– I received my first batch of free samples to review, courtesy of Gnu Bars!
Coming home to a box of free food is totally awesome, FYI. They sent me two of each flavor: Banana Walnut, Chocolate Brownie, Cinnamon Raisin, Espresso Chip, Lemon Ginger, Orange Cranberry and Peanut Butter. I shared some bars with Alexi, Shelley, Kayla and Adam just to get some extra opinions. The nutritional stats for these bars are awesome – all natural, 130/140 calories for a really good sized bar, TONS of fiber (50% of your daily intake!), and low sugar. I tried a bite of Alexi’s Chocolate Brownie and I was REALLY pleased – no weird cocoa powder taste like Clif bars. The bars are kind of dry compared to others I’ve had, but not in a nasty way and they have the perfect amount of chew. My first Gnu bar was the Banana Walnut flavor and although I liked the texture, I couldn’t really get into the flavor. I’ve never been a fan of banana flavored foods – only real bananas for me (and homemade banana bread/muffins).
And now for some random Saturday pictures:
OIAJ for breakfast!!!! Alexi gave me her almost empty peanut butter jar – I told her to try OIAJ for herself, but in the end she decided she couldn’t handle the deliciousness that is OIAJ. Topped with some homemade PB granola.
My mom came to Athens today to help me move in a mini fridge (a full fridge is too small for four people, apparently), as well as pick out a new printer, among other things. We ate lunch at Five Points Deli, which turned out to be really awesome! There are tons of different sandwich choices, along with homemade goods like chicken pot pie and butternut squash soup. I decided on Lemon Curry Chicken Salad on some delicious, chewy wheat bread. The chicken salad had a nice curry kick that was balanced out by the lemon. My favorite part = huge chunks of walnut. Yum.
I don’t know about you guys, but I LOVE Hobby Lobby. They have really cute seasonal decorations at great prices. Mom and I perused the Christmas section, which literally made me tear up a bit. I love Christmas. It literally warms my heart thinking about it.
Tomorrow is another busy day – I’m traveling to Kathy’s hometown with Adam and Chris to try Korean BBQ or Pho. FINALLY! Smell ya later!